On Saturday, September 30, Patti Foster (www.PattiFoster.com) and I will be presenting at the American Association of Christian Counselors World Conference in Nashville. (www.worldconference.net) It is a God-cool opportunity to share with other mental health professionals about how they can best support and help those in the brain injury community. So, I thought I would share a few tips that may be helpful to all of us.
- Listen with patience.
- Include the family in therapy.
- Educate yourself about brain injury.
- Be mindful of sensory issues…make adjustments in your office.
- Celebrate small victories.
- Hold on to hope as a life preserver.
- Know community and medical resources.
- Don’t step on silence. Allow for cognitive processing.
- Develop coping strategies.
- Write things down.
Deana Adams, Ph.D., LPC-S
Hope After Brain Injury